Saturday, February 15, 2014

Look Up!

Last month, My Scraps and More had a design team call. You had to create a layout using the sketch below:


I decided to use a very loose interpretation of the sketch. I know...bold move! And, while I didn't make the design team, I am really happy with the layout I am adding to my album.  Here it is:



The picture measures 4"x12" -- a size that really captures the magnitude of the giant sequoias from our trip to California in 2009! The journaling reads: The Giant Forest in Sequoia National Park is aptly named. With trees over 200 feet tall, you couldn't help but look up!

I started the layout with Basic Grey's Persimmon collection and added some other embellishments from my collection. Since I didn't have navy blue Thickers in my massive stash of alphabets, I inked up raw chip board letters. Let me tell you, this was messy business! To avoid having to do that again, I ran to Michael's the next day and bought the new Heidi Swapp navy mist!

Below is a closer look at some of the embellishments:

Looking out on another couple of inches of fresh snow that has fallen today makes me long for summer vacation. Since that is still a few months away, I will have to settle for scrapping pictures of summer instead!

Supplies:
Patterned Paper, Chipboard and Alphabet Stickers: Basic Grey (Persimmon);
Alphabet: American Crafts Thickers
Stamps: Papertrey Ink (Library Ledger)
Ink: Stampin' UP! (Night of Navy) Ranger (Coffee)
Embelishments: Studio Calico wood veneer; October Afternoon tidbits: Basic Grey sticker (Lucille); flairs (American Crafts and October Afternoon).


6 comments:

craftykellyj said...

I just LOVE the photo size! Super cool and different! I'm sorry you didn't make the team, but great layout!

Unknown said...

Beautiful layout! I really like the way you have interpreted the sketch, it's beautiful.

Susan (rainy) said...

What a fabulous interpretation of the sketch!! Very cool page!

Shemaine Smith said...

Great layout!

Leslie Miller said...

The layout worked out great flipped vertically for the beautiful Sequoia. Very clever! You know what they say -- try, try again!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

That is an awesome photo and I love how you sized it to really bring attention to it. Wonderful page!