Thursday, January 20, 2011

In Just 10 Years...

In looking over my blog, I realize that I have been posting lots of cards lately and not too many scrapbook pages. In reality, I scrapbook far more than I spend time making cards, unless I am in a card-making frenzy like I have been this last month. So, why do I spend more time on my blog talking about the cards I make than the pages I scrap. The answer is rather simple. Cards are easier to photograph. So, with that said, I have a lot of catching up to do on my blog. First up, a layout I made last January to mark the new decade. Surprisingly, I like this layout as much now as I did when I made it!

For this layout, I wanted to tell the story about what Mark and Melissa had each accomplished in the first decade of this century. To accomplish that I created a separate journaling blocks for each of them and used pictures from the 2000 and 2010 holiday seasons. For added emphasis on how much they grew, I had them hold a tile that they had made with their hand prints on January 1, 2000 in the December 2010 picture.

The journaling reads:
How time flies! Mark, in just 10 years, you went from kindergarten to 9th grade. You went from learning to read to reading Dickens, Poe and Homer. You learned to ride a bike, ski, in-line skate and skateboard. You can play the trumpet, dive off the high board, and run a 5k race. You lost your baby teeth and had your braces on and off. You went from playing with Legos to playing the XBox. You went from being a little boy to shaving.
Melissa, in just 10 years, you went from playing with dolls to helping with your baby cousins. You learned to ride a bike, ice skate, swim, ski and play the clarinet. You can dance ballet, tap, jazz and modern. you got your first pair of high-heel shoes and your first Coach pocketbook. You went from singing nursery rhymes to singing every song on the radio. You went from being a toddler to being a young lady.
One detail I would like to point out is the Glossy Accents and jeweled eyes I added to several of the birds. This just gave the page added texture and dimension.
Supplies:
Cardstock: American Crafts:
Patterned Paper: Cosmo Cricket (Earth Love);
Letters: American Craft Thickers; Making Memories Tiny Alphas;
Embellishments: Chatter Box (Chipboard bird); Prima (flocked bird); Pink Paislee (rub-on); Cosmo Cricket (ribbon); Recollection jewels;
Tools: EK Success Border Punch (embossed Curve Edger Punch);
Misc.: Twine and buttons from stash.

3 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my, look how they've changed! This is a wonderful way to preserve memories. I went on a spree when scrapbooking first became popular, then I ran out of room for the albums. I still love getting those books out. They're so much fun to look at!

hanes132 said...

I guess I didn't get a notification when you first posted this page. SO CUTE! &I LOVE that "baby" pic of M&M!!

Unknown said...

aaaawww I love this - and how you've compared the then and now.

They will love this now - but they will love this even more when they are older.

Memories are meant to be documented this way. Its great.

Paula x x x