Friday, May 29, 2009

Praying for You

I really don't like making sympathy cards. I don't think anyone does. Unfortunately, I needed one today and I didn't have any cards in my stash. I used a Card Positioning Systems sketch (CPS 117 http://cardpositioningsystems.blogspot.com/2009/05/reader-ideas-week-of-52409.html). As you can see, I did not use a literal interpretation of the sketch. Instead I tweaked it and turned it. Here's my card:


This card is going to a friend whose 19-year-old nephew passed away. This boy faced many challenges and afflictions during his short life. His family firmly believes that he is in a better place now where he can run with no limitations. I tried to symbolize this rebirth by using butterfly stamps.
I stamped both of the images on the outside of the card as well as the sentiments with Versamark ink and then used the black and white embossing powder. On my first attempt, I embossed the big butterfly on plain card stock and colored it in with chalks. I wasn't crazy about how it turned out so I decided to stamp the image right on the patterned paper. This was just the look I was after.


After I stamped the sentiment on the inside of the card, I felt that it looked a little plain so I pulled out another set of butterflies and used Versamark ink to stamp them across the page.

The sentiment reads: May the peace of God bring you comfort today and hope for tomorrow. That's something I'm sure we all wish for every day.

Ingredients: Stampin' Up! card stock (kraft); Basic Grey patterned paper (Scarlet Letter); stamps -- Amy Butler Lotus Floral (large butterfly and stem), Inkadinkadoo Patterned Bugs (butterfly spray on inside), Stampin' Up! Very Versatile (sentiments); Versamark ink; embossing powder -- Stampin' Stuff (Detail White), Ranger (Black); Spellbinders Nestabilities (Petite Oval -- Small, Petite Classic Oval -- Large); Cuttlebug, Marvy Uchida heat embosser, Stampamajig; Fiskars 5-inch Nonstick Scissors for distressing.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi! I'm Susan from the CK / PC message boards and I was just checking all the blogs that have been posted on Ana's blog thread. Thank you for sharing yours with all of us. This card is absolutely beautiful! I love the butterfly....totally gorgeous.

Grandma - Bear said...

This is a b-ful card.I haven't made sympathy cards yet. I make all of my other cards . I love making cards its my sanity valve. My blog can be found on glograbear.blogspot. com. I be ticked if U would be one of my followers. Found U on PC site.
Family is the most important treasure U have. 7 yrs my husband co. moved out of Texas. We had to downsize & sell our home. We're having to start all over again. They took our good job,our house,my health but they couldn't take our family away.
It's been my 3 g-kids that have been keeping me going. I'm s/bk a 4th July book for DH's b-day on the 4th. In April I made 30 cards for dd's 30th bday. Her twin is getting collages for her condo.